
I never dreamed that i would be a lawyer. I wanted to be a writer. In college, i had this cozy dream of being a writer living in Baguio, why Baguio- because it's cold and it has lots of trees. I had this picture in my mind of me living in a cottage surrounded by a lot of pine trees, working as a teacher in the morning (hey!!!! i have to earn a living, everybody knows that writers start out struggling before they make it good), driving a yellow volkswagen beetle (the cheapest car then and maybe now, the old model, that is), and typing my masterpiece in cozy little cottage in the afternoon.Although none of this happened even remotely, still, i look back at that dream and smile to myself whenever i see that picture in my mind.
I used to read a lot of novels. I love the way the words in my books would take me to places i have not seen; describe them in such detail that it seemed i have been transplanted to that place. I was into spy novels - John Le Carre and i imagined myself to be a spy. It was an escapist route to my humdrum existence. My parents are shop keepers. After school, all of us children who are still at home are required to tend the store, i hated it. i would find excuses not to be at the store but my father always see thru them. Reading books gave me another life away from watching the store. I used to think that i know it all because of the books that i read, i thought that the experiences of the characters were my experiences too, but nothing beats the school of the hard knocks of life. Reading books and living in the real world is SOOOOOOOOOO DIFFERENT. You could not turn back the page to relive your past, you just hope that you have learned from it so that you won't make the same mistakes.
I used to read a lot of novels. I love the way the words in my books would take me to places i have not seen; describe them in such detail that it seemed i have been transplanted to that place. I was into spy novels - John Le Carre and i imagined myself to be a spy. It was an escapist route to my humdrum existence. My parents are shop keepers. After school, all of us children who are still at home are required to tend the store, i hated it. i would find excuses not to be at the store but my father always see thru them. Reading books gave me another life away from watching the store. I used to think that i know it all because of the books that i read, i thought that the experiences of the characters were my experiences too, but nothing beats the school of the hard knocks of life. Reading books and living in the real world is SOOOOOOOOOO DIFFERENT. You could not turn back the page to relive your past, you just hope that you have learned from it so that you won't make the same mistakes.
3 comments:
wow, i like your dream. i got the chance to live in baguio, i guess if your dream came true, and knowing you..well, i bet matulog ka na lg kg maligid ky kanami sg weather...ummm if you're driving a bettle, well, bsi indi mayu kataklad sa mga tag as nga mountain...hey, tani ma visit ta to liwat no?
te kun ikaw pa gid ma sakay sa beetle, peho indi kataklad, hahahahaha
hello sue! my name is anne.friend ko cat's.im also from bacolod. reading this post brought some kind of nostalgia to me. have you ever watched the MISS POTTER? that movie came to mind while i was reading this post. nami-nami gid guro kon writer ka, well celebrated, tapos ga istar ka sa bukid, the uplands, you live your life in pure serenity while the poeple at the lowlands enjoy your books and bring you money. haha
Post a Comment